Friday, August 5, 2022

You Can Go Home Again


A much too fast visit to my hometown of Pittsburgh began with an overnight stay at the country home of childhood neighbor and rediscovered Facebook friend--and now real friend, David Brady, at his beautiful home in the woods in rural Butler County; then, yesterday, to a Pirates-Phillies game at PNC Park with David and grandson Seth (alas, the Buccos got clobbered 8-2) a walking tour of downtown Pittsburgh starting with a crossing of the Andy Warhol Bridge ending at the Point; and a pilgrimage to the Tree of Life synagogue in beautiful Squirrel Hill; where I had a long and cathartic cry viewing the posters of solidarity and kindness sent by children and adults from Pittsburgh and around America. 

There is something so powerful about connecting with and belonging to community; whether a Jewish community horribly violated by a murderous act of terrorism by a depraved Jew-hater, but then embraced and succored by an outpouring of love and support from the larger community around them sharing their grief or a community of long-suffering Pirates fans coming together to enjoy a ballgame. hold high the Jolly Roger and commiserate with each other that 30-years of losing will end someday. Or a community of a friendship with long-lost neighbor who welcomed me into his home, gave me a ride across his 30 acres on a Quad and allowed me to partake in his world of hunting and self-reliance. so different from my own but discovering heartfelt commonalities as well. Communities distinct and overlapping.

I experienced all of that and more yesterday in my beloved hometown, itself a plucky survivor of hard times that has reinvented itself and is now filled with art, life, great views and good vibes. I left Pittsburgh at the age of 13; yet feel deeply and eternally connected to my vibrant hometown; part of an extended community of Pittsburgh lovers. Welcome home, Walter. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment